SCE&G monitoring Hurricane Irma; offers safety and preparedness tips
Cayce, S.C. (Sept. 7, 2017) – SCE&G is monitoring the path of Hurricane Irma and encouraging customers to prepare in advance for the potential impacts of the storm, which could include power outages.
“Although we’re unsure exactly how Hurricane Irma will impact South Carolina, we’re ready to respond,” said Keller Kissam, president of SCE&G’s retail operations. “We prepare for severe weather and storms all year long by conducting storm drills, reviewing our plans, and trimming trees along overhead power lines. All of these things help ensure that our people and equipment will be ready and effective when it’s time to respond to power outages and any damage to our electric system. We’re always preparing and we want all of our customers to be prepared too.”
SCE&G offers the following safety and storm preparedness tips for customers:
- Now is the time to verify and update your contact information with SCE&G. You can login to your account or call us at 1-800-251-7234.
- Report outages:
- By text: Register for SCE&G’s text option online at www.sceg.com. Simply login to your account and look for “Activate Text Options” under the “Account Options” feature and then follow the instructions. Once you are registered, if you are experiencing an outage, text the word “OUT” to 467234 (gosceg).
- By mobile device: Report and check the status of your power outage online from your internet-ready mobile device or phone by visiting sceg.com/mobile and clicking on “Outages & Emergencies.”
- By phone: 1-888-333-4465.
- Stay away from downed power lines – Storms can cause tree limbs and entire trees to break and fall, sometimes taking power lines and even meter boxes down with them. Always assume any downed power line you see is live and stay away. To report a downed line, call 1-888-333-4465.
- Stay informed – Keeping customers safe and up-to-date with timely information is a top priority. Follow SCE&G on Twitter at @scegnews or on Facebook at facebook.com/scegnews for the latest storm-related information and safety tips.
- Learn more at SCE&G’s storm center: sceg.com/storm. The storm center includes additional important safety tips, as well as information about SCE&G’s process for restoring service to customers.