Lexington County 911 dispatched Lexington County Fire Service and EMS personnel to a residential structure fire that displaced three people and claimed the life of a family pet in the 1700 block of Crystal Lane in South Congaree early Tuesday morning.
Upon arrival, firefighters observed heavy flames and smoke coming from the roof of the residence. Firefighters were able to determine that there were no residents entrapped in the structure and began operations to extinguish the fire. Shortly after beginning their operations, a second alarm was requested for additional man power and equipment. Crews were faced with heavy fire inside of the structure, which had also spread to the attic.
There were no fire-related injuries, but one oxygen-dependent patient was transported by EMS to a nearby hospital for further evaluation. The American Red Cross was called in to assist the displaced residents. Further investigation of the home revealed that the family’s dog died during the incident.
A preliminary cause investigation suggests that the fire could have started due to severe weather that was moving through the area at the time of the incident.
In total, 12 Lexington County Fire Service units and 27 fire personnel responded to the call, along with one EMS unit.